£200 - £250 per day
30 days ago
A major local council has an urgent requirement for an Interim Fraud Investigator.
Duration: 3 months potential for further extension
Pay rate: £250 Umbrella p/d
Location: Bristol Hybrid working
DBS required: Basic DBS
Under the direction of the Audit Manager or Senior Investigator, investigate possible internal and external frauds against the Local Authority using the full range of powers available under legislation.
To find, collate and present evidence to seek recovery, sanctions and where appropriate take forward a prosecution and carry out work to identify fraud in high-risk areas.
Key job outcomes/accountabilities
- To investigate possible frauds originating from both internal and external sources and progress cases using the full range of powers available. To manage a caseload and compile and present evidence by various investigation techniques including interrogation of systems/records, interviews, surveillance and analysis. To record and store information securely and confidentially in accordance with relevant internal policies and legislation. To liaise with the Manager /Senior Investigator on appropriate sanctions and recovery action to pursue. To attend court as a witness for the Council where required.
- Under the direction of the Manager or Senior Investigator to undertake proactive fraud detection work high fraud risk areas. To work with the team in identifying new ideas and initiatives to prevent and detect fraud using techniques such as data matching/data analysis/data warehousing/data mining exercises.
- To work with other departments in the Council and other outside organisations with an interest in the prevention and detection of fraud including the police, Immigration Service, other Local Authorities etc.
- With the assistance of the Manager and Senior Investigator to maintain an awareness of relevant legislation and internal policies and to comply with their requirements. This includes Police and Criminal Evidence Act, Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act, Data Protection Act, The Fraud Act., the Prevention of Social Housing Fraud, Criminal Procedure and Investigation Act, Public Interest Disclosure Act.
- To perform all responsibilities and associated duties effectively and in accordance with Council Policies and Government legislation and other relevant codes of practice.
This is an urgent requirement so if it is of interest please apply ASAP.