Interim EHS Director £1000 p/d
£800 - £1000 per day
30 days ago
One of the worlds largest and most innovative sustainable technology companies has an urgent requirement for an Interim EHS Director.
This is an interim 6 month contract offering up to £1000 p/d inside IR35 and hybrid working 3 days per week in Swindon.
The EHS Director is responsible for creating and executing the company's EHS strategy in line with the overall Hydrogen Technologies' strategy. The EHS Director has full accountability for compliance with EHS regulations and standards across geographic locations where the business operates. The EHS Director will work with the Executive Team, Operations Director, Site Managers and EHS team at each location to lead and shape our global EHS strategy. Additionally will be an active member of the Global EHS leadership team. Starting with the existing UK facilities the goal is to drive improvement and embed a compliant and culturally mature operational and process safety EHS program with a focus on zero harm to both employees and the environment.
- Develop and drive the EHS vision, strategy and goals across the business combining regulatory compliance, employee safety and protection of the environment.
- Develop and drive a strong and sustainable EHS Management Program across all sites.
- Lead in all areas of EHS by influencing, supporting, and challenging both executive and site management teams in the prioritization and support of EHS programs.
- Monitor leadership engagement and give clear and transparent feedback.
- Communicate EHS requirements with passion and conviction.
- Be visible and approachable within the workplaces and able to coach others on how to demonstrate required EHS behaviors. Challenge undesirable behaviours, and consistently sends a message that EHS is a core value.
- Develop and execute the required safety culture for the business.
- Actively participate in site EHS discussions. Be willing to share best practices and promote standardization across the business.
- Lead by example: both manage and complete tasks while actively engaging with all levels of the organization.
- Promote 2-way dialog amongst management as well as all employees, while providing feedback on all relevant situations.
- Develop and deploy strategic EHS KPIs and track performance to drive improved EHS performance improvement by focusing on trends identified by the KPIs.
- Ensure that all sites have a robust Process Safety Management Program which is fully executed to protect people, the environment, assets and the product.
- Assure global compliance with applicable regulatory agencies (HSE, EA, OSHA, EPA, DEP, etc.) in addition to driving effective control of chemical legislation such as TSCA and REACH. Maintain surveillance of the external EHS regulatory horizon and advise business leaders of relevant country regulatory changes, proposing and developing compliance and mitigation plans with the local teams.
- Evaluate EHS skill levels, evaluate talent, and check performance against company EHS objectives.
- Ensure development of the EHS staff is effective across all sites in the business.
- Ensure a robust and effective Management of Change (MoC) process across all businesses with associated capabilities in place in relation to Technical Authorities
- Oversee delivery and adherence to the Quality, Business Continuity Program and Net Zero Initiatives
- Have a strong ability to evaluate EHS risk to business and able to influence business leaders in the correct path to reduce risk firstly to employees then the environment.
- Support M&A and divestment activity
- As relevant to represent the company at external conferences, professional bodies, third party consultancies, regulatory bodies, industry forums and interest groups
Legal and other Requirements
- Identify applicable EHS regulations and advise management on compliance.
- Advise and assist Site Management in compliance with EHS requirements including policies, guidance, standards and EHS reporting requirements.
- Ensure Life Saving Policies are understood, training delivered, and compliance monitored.
- Ensure that business initiatives are adequately deployed across the site.
- Ensure the EHS systems are in place to meet legal requirements and that they are internally audited, actions agreed, and completion tracked.
- Implement occupational health exposure monitoring and advise on control strategies to achieve agreed exposure limits.
- Liaise with external and internal parties on compliance with legal permits and other requirements and ensure all permits and licenses are maintained properly.
- Ensure all sites have effective emergency evacuation plans which are robust, fully executed and continuously improved.
EHS Processes and Tools
- Ensure all sites have sustainable EHS Management systems which are checked regularly for effectiveness. (Certified systems such as ISO 14001 where required).
- Ensure that effective systems are in place for accident investigations, ensuring appropriate root cause analysis is carried out and improvement actions recorded, tracked and completed.
- Ensure each site has a clear EHS Annual Improvement Plan based on analysis of lagging and leading indicators, audit findings, based on the company's EHS targets/objectives.
- Require the use of leading indicators such as Learning Events and Safety Observation Conversations. Track participation in Leading activities and report performance to management.
- Ensure hazard studies and risk assessments are in place for all activities and EHS is fully considered in management of change process and capital projects at each site globally.
- Ensure Environmental aspect and impact analysis has been carried out which identify significant impacts and control measures agreed.
- Provide technical advice as needed in all areas of EHS, liaising with site management and external specialists where relevant.
- Ensure EHS training programs are in place and are effective at all sites.
- Analyze leading and lagging performance on a regular basis constantly evaluating methods of improvement.
- Track and trend incidents and issues at the sites to ensure clear, data driven focus for value added activities.
- Ensure processes are in place to report all required EHS Enablon data and ensure end of month deadlines are met.
- Track to ensure all HPLE and recordable events are completed within Enablon within 28 days of each event.
- Provide EHS support & technical guidance to all sites as needed including regular site visits to evaluate EHS program effectiveness.
- Ensure inspection and preventative maintenance programmes are in place at all sites for all critical Safety equipment.
- Ensure all Process Safety requirements are understood and deployed working with the Group Head of Process Safety and site leads.
- Evaluate effectiveness of IH and OH programs applicable to each of the sites.
- Review CAPEX projects and MOCs to ensure all EHS aspects and impacts are considered, and proper risk assessments are conducted.
- Manage all aspects of EHS Budgets as required.
- Work with the Group Head of Product Stewardship and Toxicology in the oversight of the development and/or modification of the corporate Product Stewardship program to ensure that policies and services are in line with and remain aligned with the needs of the global business.